All propane is odorized to ensure easy detection in case of a leak. This added scent smells like rotten eggs, skunk spray or a dead animal. It is a pungent, very unpleasant odor.
If you smell gas, you should:
- Extinguish any flames, including cigarettes.
- Avoid any flames or sparks until the threat has passed.
- Leave the area immediately.
- If it is safe to do so, turn off the main gas supply on your propane tank by turning the valve clockwise (to the right).
- From a safe distance, call Dixie Gas & Oil’s Emergency Service line immediately at 800-40-DIXIE(34943), or after business hours at 888-895-9939.
- If for some reason you do not get a response, call 911.
- Do not return to the building or area until a Dixie Gas & Oil or emergency official has cleared you to do so.
- Have Dixie do a thorough inspection of your propane system to identify the cause of the gas leak.
For more information on propane safety go to http://usepropane.com/safe-source-of-energy/interactive-safety-modules/.
LEAKING OIL TANKS
If you suspect your heating oil tank is leaking, follow these steps:
- Look for signs of unexplained dead or withered vegetation in the tank area.
- Look for any signs of spills or overfills around the fill pipe or vent lines.
- If tank is above ground, check the entire tank surface for damage and wear. Check sturdiness of tank support.
- Check basement/crawlspace, sump pump or floor drain for petroleum odors. If present, call Dixie Gas & Oil immediately at 800-40-DIXIE(34943), or after business hours at 888-895-9939. If you do not reach someone at our 24-hour emergency line, call 911.
- If petroleum odors are present, extinguish all flames, including cigarettes, and avoid any spark or flame until situation is completely resolved.
- Look for any signs of oil, like odors, sheens on water surfaces, or visible oil puddles on the property. If oil is found, call Dixie Gas & Oil immediately at 800-40-DIXIE(34943), or after business hours at 888-895-9939. If you do not reach someone at our 24-hour emergency line, call 911.
- Most importantly, do not attempt to repair a tank system yourself.
- After situation is resolved, have Dixie Gas & Oil do a thorough check all your heating oil tank and lines to assess the situation.
24-HOUR EMERGENCY SERVICE
We stand by our products and workmanship, and are available for troubleshooting and emergency service 24 hours a day.
In case of emergency, call: 800-40-DIXIE(34943)
After-hours emergency number: 888-895-9939
For more information on heating oil tank safety in the state of Virginia, see http://www.deq.virginia.gov/Programs/LandProtectionRevitalization/PetroleumProgram/CleanupActivities/HomeHeatingOilTanks.aspx